Friday, July 17, 2009

Green Campus Computing in USeP

Three URLs that talks about Green Campus Computing:

http://inews.berkeley.edu/articles/Spring2009/green-computing

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2008/12/02/u-m-hopes-green-computing-will-cut-costs-emissions/
http://chronicle.com/free/2009/01/10296n.htm?utm_source=at&utm_medium=en

Green Campus Computing is the practice of using computing devices efficiently and in an environmentally friendly way. The commonly used computing device is a computer. We, students, use computers whether for fun or study purposes; especially as an IT student, we work with it every now and then. In fact, when I go to our virtual library or to NODAL I see a lot of students waiting for a computer unit to be vacated. And I have noticed nowadays that more and more students have their laptops. This situation only shows that most of the students, if not all, are using computers on day to day basis.

In my point of view, the very first step for our university to adopt the concept of Green Campus Computing or for the students to practice Green Computing is to conduct a symposium about Green Campus Computing. If not all students will be able to attend the symposium then giving in flyers and putting posters are the possible solution to inform students about Green Campus Computing. Some of the non-computing courses in our university also have their computer fundamentals subject and it would be a good thing if Green Campus Computing will be a part of the Instructors Course Outline.

While the students are being educated about Green Computing our university should also:
Arrow Supply computers directly with local DC power
Arrow Installing more solar panels
Arrow Direct cool air only where the facility is generating the most heat

Computers generally use direct current, but the public electricity grid typically supplies alternating current, and 30 percent of the electricity can be lost in the conversion of one form to the other. Some US colleges have started projects to power their computers directly from solar cells or other sources of DC power on the campus, avoiding the energy loss altogether.

Our university may also launch a "green computing" educational campaign; recognizing and rewarding individuals who conserve energy; adopting campuswide purchasing guidelines for computing equipment.

Since I am already aware about Green Computing I am now practicing it. I turned off my screensaver so it will just be in standby mode or sleep mode, I even turn it off if I think that it will take me a long time before using it again. An active PC uses between 60 to 90 watts, while a sleeping PC uses 2 to 3. When I plug in a peripheral (such as USB’s) in my laptop after I have done copying or saving something into it I immediately safely remove it to save the battery’s life. I also lessen the brightness on my laptop during daylight to save the battery’s life.

Let us all support and practice Green Campus Computing! Razz

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know that you yourself is practicing green computing in your own way. keep it up!

    tina_

    ReplyDelete